- Sponsor, co-ordinate and promote research programmes or projects for prototype (demonstration projects) and pilot investigations in the area of new and renewable sources of energy. Provide technical and financial assistance for formulation of programmes, designs and projects meant for extension of renewable energy development in the state.
- Undertake, on its own or in collaboration with other agencies, programmes of research and development, applications and extension as related to various new and renewable energy sources.
- Undertake or sponsor, techno-economic/socio-economic feasibility studies/cost-benefit analysis.
- Formulate and implement a broad-based programme for conservation of energy at all stages, including extraction, conversion, distribution and consumption in all sectors of the economy.
- Study the environmental effects of all energy-related processes.
- Establish an Energy Resources Centre that will collect and collate energy and inter-related information.
- Develop and support Documentation Services in area of energy in general and renewable energy in particular.
- Develop Communication and Education projects for wide spread dissemination of energy and environmental issues.